Hyogo Business & Cultural Center and the Washington Association of Teachers of Japanese (WATJ) are working together to provide you with an online seminar focusing on Japanese language education for Japanese language teachers in the summer of 2021.
- Dates: August 4th (Wednesday), 2021
- Time: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm (*See Schedule below)
- Venue: Online Zoom webinar
- Lecturer: Junko Hosoi
- Theme: “Read, read, read!: Using authentic materials for all levels”
- Cost: This year’s summer institute is FREE for all participants.
- Clock hours: 4 Professional Development Clock hours available for teachers in Washington state.
NOTE: Due to the nature of this online workshop, participation is limited to 60 people. Registration will be processed on a “first come first serve” basis and admission will close after this limit of 60 people is reached. We recommend you register as soon as possible to ensure attendance.
Junko Hosoi, Aragon High School, CA
About Junko Hosoi
Junko Hosoi has taught all levels of Japanese at Aragon High School in San Mateo, California for 17 years. She has also taught Japanese at the Academic Talent Development Program offered through UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education during summer for many years. She has been presenting at the American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) annual convention and California Language Teachers Association annual conference regularly.
The August 4th Summer Institute workshop is based on Ms. Hosoi’s presentation at ACTFL 2020 titled, “Read, read, read!: using authentic materials for all levels”. This interactive workshop is focused on demonstrating how teachers can use authentic reading materials for real life purposes from level 1. Ms. Hosoi will share activities and strategies to help students actively read and ENJOY the materials. The participants will have hands-on practice of selected activities and work time with colleagues in small groups. Participants will also receive materials.
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm : Morning session
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm : Lunch Break
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm : Afternoon Session
Total lecture hours: 4 hours
If you have any questions or trouble signing up through the application above, please contact:
Assistant Manager at Hyogo Business & Cultural Center
To register, you can also send an email with the the information listed below:
- Association membership (WATJ, ATJO, other – please specify -)
- Email address
- Phone number
- Home address
- School / academic institution name
- School / academic institution address
- What grade level(s) do you teach?
- Which Japanese textbook(s) do you use in your classroom?
- Will you be accepting Clock Hours? (Yes, no)
- Are you a native Japanese speaker (Yes, no)
- If you have any other comments, questions, or special needs, please list them.
Summer Institute 2021 is brought to you by:
Summer Institute 2021 is sponsored by: